The Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is seeking qualified individuals for the position of Data Analyst. The Data Analyst plays an integral role is Busara’s day-to-day operations, supporting research, data collection, data cleaning, and data warehousing. The Data Analyst will work closely with colleagues across the Data Team as well as providing strong support for Busara’s research and advisory engagement, interfacing with Busara’s Associate team. This position requires strong attention to detail, systems thinking, and the ability to respond to tight deadlines and many demands.
- Data entry, data cleaning, data entry management and database design.
- Lead data downloading and data warehousing from mobile devices such as PDAs, Netbooks and Smartphones
- Collate, query and clean data coming in from field and lab projects, including flagging out inconsistencies and/or errors arising from data obtained from the field as part of routine data checks.
- Participate in requirements gathering, support development of various internal and external platforms
- Lead the design of data collection tools
- Data cleaning, high frequency checks, error checking, and documentation.
- Diagnosing and solving data entry, storage and quality problems that may arise.
- Extensive and exhausting data cleaning on STATA platform for incoming data.
- Designing and maintaining data flow patterns for ongoing projects and advising projects on optimal systems to minimize error.
- Basic data analysis, sample size calculations.
- Data back-up management.
- Collaboration with diverse teams; including field teams, research staff, data team, and operations team.
- Perform additional duties in support of Busara's expanding data capabilities.
- A Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, economics, social sciences or related fields. Other fields will be considered.
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with some preliminary quantitative skills.
- 1 to 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Proficiency with STATA, preferably experience with R.
- Strong working experience with MS Excel, MS Access, MySQL and other databases.
- Knowledge of survey design, experiencing designing and implementing data collection tools.
- Ability to wok well in a team.
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English.
- Interest and experience working in a fast-paced working environment.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player.
- Familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred.
- Experience conducting or supporting field research.
- Advanced knowledge of STATA and R.
- Experience developing and implementing data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and data quality
- Demonstrated working experience with any of the following: Python, Clojure, Pig, Hadoop, MangoDB, Hive, MapReduce, HBase
**This position is open to Kenyan candidates only**
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure that the subject line reads:
"Data Analyst REF NO: DA-6-2-2017"
DEADLINE TO APPLY: FEBRUARY 22, 2017